To use your WebTV terminal you must establish an account
both with WebTV and Valley Internet. WebTV will bill you and also
Valley Internet billing will vary depending on the account type you choose.
Note: Screens may very well look somewhat different, but all the information should be the same.
Setting Up The WebTV Account
1. Connect WebTV unit to TV, AC power, and telephone line
per instruction manual of the WebTV unit.
2. From the remote control or optional keyboard, push
the power button.
3. The Terminal retrieves the closest WebTV direct access
number (La Vergne, TN) and then places a toll call. This call MUST be made to establish your account
with WebTV. Valley Internet Dial up information will be entered later.
4. Once connected, follow the on-screen instructions
to sign up for a WebTV account.
5. After completing the account sign-up, if there is a
software update available, click Update Now.
The WebTV will now reconnect to the WebTV direct access
number and retrieve any WebTV
software updates. This will take several minutes.
6. When it says Updating Complete, click on Connect.
7. When the unit comes back on, click on Continue
to call the WebTV direct access number again.
8. Follow the next set of instructions to configure your
WebTV to use Valley Internet.
Connecting to Valley Internet via WebTV
1. From your WebTV home page, select Setup from the
2. In Setup, select Dialing.
3. From this dialing options page, choose Use Your ISP.
** If you do not have the "Use your ISP" option, contact
Customer Care at 1-800-GO-WEBTV to activate OpenISP.
4. Read the information about OpenISP and select Continue.
5. Continue reading, and select Continue.
6. Continue reading, and select Continue.
7. Enter your Valley Internet account info:
8. Choose Done
- Click the checkbox to activate OpenISP
- Enter Valley Internet as the Service Provider Name
- Enter the user name and password pair you were assigned.
- This information is available on the Data Sheet you were given.
- Modem Dial In Numbers :
Dial In Number : Click here to lookup a local dial-up number
- Backup Number : Same as the Dial In Number
WebTV hangs up and reconnects. Read the information
screen and select Use ISP.
9. Internet terminal connects to the WebTV Network. A confirmation
screen will summarize your choices and provide you with the option to use
your own ISP or use WebTV. Selecting Use your ISP will cause the
WebTV Internet Terminal to redial using Valley Internet.
10. You're connected!
Setting Up Remote Mail Services
1. From your WebTV Home Page, choose Setup, then
choose Mail, then Remote Mail.
2. Read the information about Using Remote Mail,
then select Continue.
3. Enter your Valley Internet Email Information that is
provided on the Data Sheet you were given.
4. Click Continue, then read the Remote
mail is on screen. Then click Done.
- POP3 user name : the user name on your data sheet
- POP3 password : the password on your data sheet
- POP3 server name : mail.vallnet.com
- Remove the check from the "Leave messages on server"
5. To check your mail, navigate back to the WebTV Home Page.
Choose the Mail icon.
6. All mail delivered to your webtv.net address will automatically
show up in the Mail List.
To retrieve mail addressed to your vallnet.com email
address, click on Fetch. Any messages addressed to your vallnet.com address will now show up
in your mail list.
Getting To The Valley Internet Home Page
1. When your WebTV is connected to Valley Internet, press the Options button on the remote control.
2. Now choose the go to button.
3. In the address bar type www.vallnet.com, press the enter key on
your keyboard or the go button on the remote. This will take you to the Valley Internet Home Page.