Windows XP Setup using ICW
How to connect to the Internet
- Click the Start button on your taskbar, then Control Panel. Double click
(two quick clicks with the left mouse button) on the Network and Internet Connections
icon, and then double click on Internet Options. The Internet Options properties box will appear.
- You will be on the General tab. In the first section, labeled Homepage there is a
box labeled Address:. In it you will see a web address for you homepage. Type in http://www.vallnet.com , and
then click Apply.
- Click the Connections tab, located along the top of the Internet Properties window. At the
top right hand corner of the Connections window, click Setup button.
- You will need to click on the X at the top right hand corner of the Control Panel window to close it.
- A window titled Internet Connection Wizard will appear. Click Next. Choose the first option:
Connect to the Internet. Click Next
- You will be given several options on how to setup your account. Choose the second option: Setup my
connection manually. Click Next.
- You will be asked how you will connect to the Internet. Choose the first option: Connect using Dial-up modem.
- You will be prompted to enter an ISP name. Type in Valley Internet, and then click Next.
- The next step will prompt you to enter our dial in number. Enter the appropriate number for
your location (numbers are listed here). Then click Next.
- In the username field, type the username you chose when you signed up for your account.
(Usually the part of your email address before @vallnet.com.) Type your password in the password
field and the confirm password field and then click Next. Note: Usernames and passwords must
be in all lowercase letters, with no spaces. Also, passwords will appear as simple dots in the password boxes.
- Click Finish.
- Click the Start button on your taskbar, then Email (Outlook Express). A window may pop up saying
You are currently working offline. Would you like to go online.... If so you do not need to go
online at this time, click Work Offline. Outlook Express will start and should request you setup a new
email account. If not, go to Tools, and select Accounts. A new window will pop up. Click on Add, and select Mail.
- You will be asked to enter a Display Name. In this box type the name that you would like others
to see when you send mail. Usually this is your name, as you would sign it on a check, a nickname, or
business name. After you have entered the display name click Next. Note: You may use capital
letters in the display name.
- Next you will need to enter your email address. Type your Valley Internet address
(e.g. email@example.com) and click Next.
- At the top of the next window you will see a line that reads: My incoming mail server is a POP3
server. If it does not say POP3, click the down arrow beside the blank, and choose POP3.
The incoming and outgoing mail servers should, by default, be set to mail.vallnet.com. If it does not
say this, type mail.vallnet.com in both the incoming mail server and outgoing mail server. Click Next.
- In the blank that says Account Name: type in the account name we gave you
(usually the part of your email address that comes before @vallnet.com). In the
Password: blank, type your password (all lower case with no spaces). Make sure to check
Save Password if you do not want to type your password each time you check your mail. DO
NOT put a check next to Log on using secure password authentication. Click Next.
- Congratulations, you have finished setting up your email account. Click Finish. You will be back at
the accounts administration window. Click Close.
To connect to the Internet, click on Start, then Internet (Internet Explorer). A box may pop
up requesting whether you want to go online or work offline. If so click Connect. Then a dialup window
will pop up. Click Connect to begin dialing in. Once your connection is successful, Internet
Explorer will load and bring up your homepage.
Browsing The Web and Using E-mail
After the Valley Internet page has loaded, you can begin browsing the World Wide Web. The web is a point and
click interface, meaning if you see something that interests you, point and click on it to get more information
The hardest part about using the web is FINDING what you're looking for. To help you, we've placed links to popular
search engines on our page, and in Internet Explorerís Favorites menu. A search engine is a page that helps you find
other pages based on key words.
On the Valley Internet homepage, there is a small search engine block. You can use the search engine
by entering some text related to what you're interested in finding in the blank space then pulling down the menu to
select a search engine. When ready, click on Search and your text will be passed on to the search engine. In a moment,
another page will appear with a list of sites that contained what you were looking for.
After you've connected to us (by double clicking on the Internet icon as above), you can check to see if
you have any e-mail. Click on the Mail icon in the Microsoft Internet Explorer window and select Read Mail.
The Outlook Express window will appear and check for new mail. After any new mail has been copied to your
machine, you can read each message by selecting it within the Outlook Express window. You can also manually
check for mail by clicking on the icon labeled Send and Receive.
To send a message, click on the Compose Message icon in the upper left hand corner of the window. A new window
will appear with the cursor next to TO:. Enter the e-mail address of the person you would like to receive your
message here, then click on the space next to SUBJECT: and enter a subject. Finally, click in the large blank
space below and enter the message itself. Once you've finished, click Send in the upper left hand corner of
the window. The message will be posted the next time you click on Send and Receive.